Well that was a fun surprise. Our little bundle, that I had carried close to nine months, decided to come three weeks early. With everyone saying over and over again that the first one is always late I was kind of banking on that fact. Part of me had an inkling that I wasn't going to be so lucky, but I ignored that little voice of mine. Oops. It's now been a little over a month and I'm smitten with our little one. I wasn't sure how smoothly the transition from normal person to mother would go for me, but it's been great. Yay for hormones! We're just starting to come out of our little bubble and get back into the swing of things. This week we took our first trip to NCMA to see the art and I was head-over-heels for this installation of African carved heads.
A few weeks ago, with the help of my husband, I was able to built myself a workbench from start to finish in between feeding the little one. It was the best feeling! I cobbled the design of the workbench from a few places. I used these plans as my blueprint for how to join all the pieces and I used the plans from here for added a bottom shelf, but I also added a healthy dash of my own flair for good measure. I drew up my plans in my trust graph paper notebook like always before buying wood.
For various reasons I decided to make the workbench 28"deep by 48"long by 35"tall. One reason being that I hoped to be able to wheel the workbench around the house for projects, but I forgot to test it so I'm not confident the workbench will fit through the tight corners of the hallway. Oops. The frame is made from pine 2x4s and joined together using pocket holes.
I plan on adding a few bells and whistles too down the line (outfeed support, pipe clamp storage, shallow boxes on wheels and maybe locking wheels). The studio is still mostly a disaster, but this workbench has gone a long way in making a dent in the chaos. Little by little I plan on continuing to chip away at the rubble to create order.